Tuesday 28 February 2012

Funerals (or lack thereof)

One thing I haven't experienced on this placement is funerals. I did observe one at the beginning of placement, but have had no further involvement. It's unfortunate that timing hasn't favoured me being avaliable. If I could have made the pre-funeral visit I wouldn't have made the funeral itself, what with uni classes. I did suggest to my supervisor I could miss a lecture if that would help, but (quite rightly) he dismissed this, as my studies come first.

It's unfortunate, but there's time yet. It is an important part of the parish ministry and I am all too aware there are some churches where the minister could just do funerals and have no time for anything else. It's also something which terrifies me. Although some may think I'm an emotional retard, I can get very touched at funerals (even the one I observed, where I didn't even know the deceased). I know it's part of being human and it's no bad thing for a minister to be seen to be human, but there's also the professional aspect of leading the funeral service. There, I need to have the balance of compassion and professionalism right, otherwise the service will not be a fitting tribute nor enable the family (sorry, not expressing this very well).

I'm sure it's all happening for a reason. I know I've experienced much more than I thought I would on this placement and not just worship stuff - management, leadership, team management, pastoral care, to name a few. I also know God gives me what I need rather than what I want. All in all, although it's unfortunate (have I said that already) that I haven't had this sort of experience, I'm stoical about it and well ware everything happens for a reason and it'll all pan out well in the end.

[Of course, famous last words and now there's going to be a run of funerals I can be involved with.]

1 comment:

  1. Oh the answer to that is: have a big dissertation deadline about the 21st August, mix it with agreeing to do a summer locum. What you get at the beginning of the locum is 5 deaths in 10 days. That'll sort you out. Trust me!!

    And yes, that happened to me in my Master's year.
    But there is still time, and there will be some in your year group who will go into probation with no - or very little - experience of funerals. And that's exactly what 15 months full-time will help you with: you will gain experience there, if you haven't got it before. But I understand: until you've done your first 'flying solo' funeral, you'll have these feelings: think it's kind of a fear of the unknown, a fear of messing up and possibly causing hurt at a time when people are particularly vulnerable... all of that. I think best thing to hang onto, and I'll have said this to you before at some point, is to remember, God's got your back. Catch you for a cuppa soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!