Tuesday 31 January 2012

Getting watched

I led the whole service at Eagleside on Sunday. This is the second time I have done so there, but this time I was really being watched. There was the speech trainer from 121, spotthegerbil and my Mum. Most people thought I'd be especially worried about the speech trainer. Nah, much more pressure Mum being there.

But anyway, this is my professional reflection on the service, so lets concentrate on that.

My theme was a combination of  the ordinary made extraordinary and everyone having a calling. Generally, even I couldn't believe how well it went. I'm not perfect - far from it and still have so much to learn - but I'm definitely improving. And that's good. I'm training to learn my style, find my feet and improve - if none of that happens, then I am doing something very wrong and would not be engaging with the process. I've also now listened to the service, which is a useful and disturbing thing! I probably pick up on much more than even the most critical ear would from listening to myself!

I engaged well with the children and, taking on board criticism I've had for my last service, tried to extend the teaching point more. I hope I got the balance right there, but I don't want to tell them so much that there's nothing for the Young Church to tell them. I also feel I dealt well with the children who were going away with the talk (and some of their insight was brilliant - out of the mouths of babes). It's good to know they are starting to feel comfortable with me, as I am with them.

My prayers were well delivered, but the speech trainer thought I had strange pauses. Not convinced I agree with him and, as the delivery is similar to that I have used before at Eagleside which was encouraged and affirmed, I might just agree to disagree on that point.

During the sermon, I generally had a good range of tone and pace, but not too much that people would loose me. I did have a couple of asides which, to be honest, were more me thinking out loud and may not have been picked up very well. Need to be very aware of that and try to engage brain with mouth, which can be easier said than done sometimes! Some of my intensional asides didn't get a flicker of recongition from most of the congregation, but then I do have a very particular sense of humour. They are used to humour in the service, but mine is much more dry than my supervisors. Won't be so bad once I've built up a relationship with a congregation.

I tend to have notes as a comfort and, especially on Sunday, I didn't refer to them too much. I still need practice at this as there was a point where I might have sounded like I got myself in a fankle, but took a deep breath, sip of water, glanced at my notes and moved on. At  least having full notes for the prayers and sermon (yet not for the children's address - maybe there's something in that?) allows for that. It also gives my timings, as I know roughly how long I am going to talk.

Due to nerves, there were a couple of words I stumbled over. Funnily, I picked out different ones from the speech trainer. Generally, though, I was very clear with good diction.

The service did come together as a running theme, I feel. That is something I think it so important. As I've said many a time before, there's nothing worse than the children's address haveing nothing to do with the rest of the service. In those cases, I've tended to think it's like patting the children on the head before we get on with the real service!

All the hymns were quite long, which I hadn't really thought about when I chose them. May be worth keeping that in mind for future. That said, a member of the choir did thank me for choosing "such lovely hymns" fo them to sing. Glad to be of service!

Oh, and getting back to the sermon. I really couldn't believe what was going on. There I was, all passionate and animated at some points. Where did that come from? I remember thinking at the time. Of course, it's the holy spirit, but good grief, I never knew I had it in me! No, I didn't thump the pulpit! I'm not that way inclined!

So, overall, it went well. Still things to work on and be aware of. But I need those things so I never, ever get complacent.

And a closing word from a member of the congregation. "Sometimes I forget this is just the start of your training. You're very good. We're had probationers here who haven't been as good as that". Wow, looks like I have a gift. A wonderful gift from God. I pray I use it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!