Friday 17 February 2012

Baptism

I've been thinking about baptism a lot recently. Who is it for? What does it do? These sort of things.

While doing my co-ordinated field assessment, I read "Through the Waters" by David Hamilton. I learnt a lot from it (and maybe should re-read it) and it helped greatly with getting my head around the sacraments, even though it focused on baptism.

Now, I have a reasonably 'high' attitude towards the sacraments. I feel they are an important part of the Christan life and maybe aren't used enough, especially communion which, in most churches, happens just 4 times a year. But, in most churches, communion is open to all who are baptised and "love the Lord" (I know that isn't the universal case, as there are some churches where a person can only have communion if they are a member). So, if all can come to the Lord's table and participate in communion, why can't that be the case with baptism?

My rational for baptism (especially for infants) is it is a sign and symbol of God's grace in the world and love for that child. No matter what they do in their lives, even if they reject Christianity, that symbol will always be with them, as God is. If God loves everyone and God wants everyone to know and have a relationship with him, who am I to stand in the way of that?

Now, in infant baptism, it is the parent(s) who take the vows to bring up the child in the Christian faith. But if they seem sincere who am I to stand in the way of welcoming this child into the Christian family? Jesus wanted the children to come to him so the parents of a child brought for baptism can be as much children of God as the baby itself. They may fail in keeping their vows (who of us doesn't mess this up?), they may see baptism as an excuse for a party, but should I judge them; should I stand in the way and prevent God's grace from being freely extended? I don't think I should.

This, I know, is something I need to work on. On one hand, I believe vows taken in front of God should be done in all sincerity and humility. Otherwise, just don't bother. Yet, God's grace transcends these things. God's grace can seek in and get through when least expected. If baptism is a symbol and sign of God's grace, then let the children come, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!