Monday 27 February 2012

Communion for all

As much as I may try to have a vision of inclusivity for my future ministry (and current) I am aware that no matter what I do there are some things which will not allow everyone to feel part of an act of worship I lead.

It may be my background, my age, my style, or even the fact I am a woman. I respect there are many factors which may make some feel excluded and I will strive to deal with those I can (sorry, can't do much about the breasts).

So, as much as I may make tongue-in-cheek statements that I will use home brew for communion wine, I really wouldn't. It contains alcohol and that would prevent some members of the congregation from participating in communion, be it for medical reasons, out of principle or an awareness they would be driving after the service and never drive and drive. I, for one, fall into the latter category and could not take alcoholic communion wine if I were going to drive at all. It is the Lord's supper and all should be included, as far as possible.

Further, having alcoholic wine precludes children from receiving communion and they are as much part of the body of Christ as any of the rest of us. While I accept children are not present at most communions, I feel it is important they can take part if they (and/or their parents) wish to. If it is common knowledge the communion drink is non-alcoholic allows all to participate whenever the sacrament is administered.

I'm not sure exactly how I would broach the subject of this in a church which uses alcoholic wine for the sacrament. But I know it is important enough to me that I would have to find a way. A compromise is having both alcoholic and non-alcoholic wine, but this does not help the alcoholic to be part of the sacrament,
and seems, to me at least, to take away from the fact that communion is a symbol of those participating being the body of Christ. By excluding some, are we saying they cannot be part of that body?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!