Sunday 5 February 2012

Church for all or some?

I was talking to a friend the other day about inclusiveness. Apparently there are churches where their focus is on the LGBT community (maybe I live in the wrong place, but is it?!) and we started talking about if you focus on one group, that stops being inclusive.

For me, inclusiveness is that. For all. No one singled out, whether for age, gender, sexual orientation, race, background (need I go on?) etc. It is about building up a community of people who are brought together to worship God and serve him. A group of people who are united in Christ. Everything else fades away.

Now, that is not easy. I appreciate that. I'm not even sure exactly how I'd achieve this, though I think trying to talk to a broad range of people as part of my ministry (in and out of placement and uni) helps. They get to see God values them through me being with them and listening to their hurts, laughter, joy and pain (well, I hope they do).

Yet, I look at many churches and what do I see? A group of people from the same backgrounds, with similar incomes, opinions, educational levels etc. I look at them and think if I was a seeker, someone looking for God (in the shed, definitely in the shed) and that was the church closest to me, but I did not fit into that social world, would I go? Probably not. But I have my own transport and can pick and choose where I worship. That is not an option for many. Then the church fails in its duty to welcome all and be the body of Christ.

Somehow, given this has been something which has bugged me as long as I can remember, I think this is something which will form part of my ministry. I pray for the gifts to make it a true reality.

3 comments:

  1. Yo Mrs G... re:'I was talking to a friend the other day about inclusiveness. Apparently there are churches where their focus is on the LGBT community (maybe I live in the wrong place, but is it?!) and we started talking about if you focus on one group, that stops being inclusive.'

    If that wuz me, what I was trying to say was that the word 'inclusive' has sort of been hijacked, in a sense, 'we are an inclusive church' has become a sort of a shorthand for LGBT folk are welcome and valued here.' Which is fine 'n dandy, but inclusivity is broader, way broader and that it would be good to focus on other groups who have traditionally been made to feel less welcome than they could have been... e.g. mental health folk, learning difficulties folk, folk with physically disabilities - just sheer access of building in some cases, and folk who have various forms of Alzheimer's/ dementia.

    And to add... total/ full inclusivity within the context of one act of worship is actually not possible... so how do we get less hung up on trying to make the 'one service fits all' thing happen, and broaden this out to fit the shape of the week/ month/ etc.?

    Ahh, and another thing lol!!
    So often, it seems to me, the approach re. inclusivity is to do this or that thing 'cos that will be the thing... without actually thinking about asking the folk who are being targeted. How do we move from doing things at and for people, to working with and alongside people by asking them what works for them - and indeed, if they want it... whatever 'it' happens to be? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking to people...that would never work. I mean, they might engage, things may happen which didn't before, people may feel valued and understood. Wouldn't want that to happen, would we ;-)

      Delete
  2. *gasps*
    I ken. Heaven forfend!! ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!