Monday 13 February 2012

Talking or listening?

I can't believe how quickly my first placement is passing. In many ways, it seems only yesterday I began. In others,it feels I've been there for years.

Only yesterday I managed to talk o a couple of ladies I haven't talked to before. I've seen them at church and said hello, but haven't talked really. And it was great - to hear their stories, to share their thoughts, to walk a tiny wee bit of this journey with them. And they seemed to really appreciate me taking the time to talk to them (well, actually, to listen to them). It's not a hardship, I enjoyed this. n these circumstances, it's something I'm good at. Don't know how or where I picked up this skill, or should I call it a gift from God? Of course I should, as that's what it is.

So, it strikes me that a lot of the minister's role is listening to people. Be it chatting over coffee after the service, a quick word on the way out the door, visiting a parishioner in hospital or preparing a funeral, it's all about listening to people's stories. Hearing what's said (and, is often the case) what's not said. It's taking the time to care and share in their lives. Wow - that's an amazingly brilliant, yet daunting prospect. And what a privilege to be allowed into people's lives. To be able to walk with them, in their happiness and pain, as Jesus would walk with them. I am his ears and legs and he needs me to do this walking for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!