Thursday 20 August 2009

Trusting God

I've litterally just finished reading "Faith like Potates" - autobiography of Angus Buchan.

What a great book. He's an ordinary farmer with extradinary faith. A faith which called him to plant potates during a forecast drought. A faith which called him to give his farm and life to Jesus in service.

What I really liked about the book is Buchan talks about his torment - the devil talking. His drift away from God and his journey back again. He knows he's not perfect, he's unqualified to preach, he's an ordinary farmer. Yet he has dedicated and risked everything for God to take God's message to everyone. He has endured many hardships, including drought and the accidental death of his nephew. Throughout it all his faith in God and love of Jesus has never waivered.

It's amazing what God will do with lives if we trust Him. I wish I had half the faith Angus Buchan has. That said, reading of this book has come at a good time for me. I have been thinking a lot about the calling I am following. How can I be sure - it is ministry of word and sacrament, it is God's calling, not mine nor others, etc, etc? This book has confirmed what I should have known all along. God has called me and I need to follow His lead. He will give me the words and actions I need to follow His calling if I only trust Him.

At the end of the book there's this prayer:

"Dear Lord Jesus Christ,
I have given my life to you, but I repent right now because I have done very little which is constructive for the kingdom of God. I ask you to forgive me.
From today onwards I am offering myself for full-time service. I acknowledge that the time is short, that the kingdom of God is at hand and the people need to hear the gospel and repent.
There are so few people preaching the good news of Christ, although many are perishing because they have never heard and I want to make a difference. I pray that you will use me in whatever area you are calling me to.
Help me to make a start after I have put down this book. Help me to reach my next-door neighbour, the people down the street and press right in where you lead. And, Lord, if you call me to a foreign country, I pray you will make a way for me and give me the faith and courage to follow it through.
I ask this in Jesus' name.
Amen"
Angus Buchan

I do know God is calling me into full-time service for Him. I do know I want and need to make a difference in God's name. The journey will not be easy, but God will give me no more that I can endure.

With that in mind, tonight I am going with my assessor to met with my presbytery rep to draw up my co-ordinated field assessment agreement. I pray God will guide me through this meeting and my remaining time on my CFA. That I my discern my call fully, and follow Him wherever He leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!