Monday 10 August 2009

More questions

Following on from this post, I've a few more questions I need to put to my assessor:

  • Someone has an opinion that not only do you disagree with, you really can't agree to differ, so to speak. How do you let them know you disagree with them without railroading over their opinions? This was something I was accused of doing by my last assessor. I was guilty of it to a certain extent, but when I've thought of discussions I've had in work with my colleagues or with leaders of youth organisations I'm involved with, that's not how I normally operate.
  • How does a minister reconcile potentially living in an affluent area outwith their parish in much bigger and better maintained accommodation than their parishioners?

That's the questions so far....more will follow no doubt.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh tough questions! Do ministers live outwith the parish? I've not come across that one! It does seem indefensible! I don't know - I'll need to have a think.

    As for the first one - is it always necessary to offer an opinion when one disagrees? Can one not just listen? When does one need to "correct" an opinion?

    Otherwise, I tend to say something like "that's an interesting perspective - tell me more why you think that" or words to that effect and then something like " I wonder if that is the case all the time or just in some instances?" in the hope that a more profitable discussion will open up.

    Sometimes I don't do this and forget myself and just tell people what I think - circumstances and temper do cloud my judgement on occasion!

    At my advanced stage of life there are fewer instances when some opinions rile me as they used to. Others more so. After all my favourite TV programme is Grumpy Old Women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CB

    I could list 5 or 6 manses outwith their parishes off the top of my head. That includes my own home church. I don't have a problem per-say with that more the posh houses some manses are, especially in relation to the housing in the local area. I think ministers should have good quaility housing, but not 4-5 bedroom detched houses when their parishioners are in 2-3 bed terraced houses or flats.

    Usually I will just listen to others opinions and, like you, age has taught me when to agrue and when not to. I just need to ensure I know the line. I'm fairly sure I do, but I think it's something I need to discuss with my assessor.

    Thanks again for your comments and support.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!