Saturday 22 August 2009

New bible

I've a confession to make. I've never read the whole bible from beginning to end. I'be tried, but haven't had a decent reading plan, wondered why things seemed to jump around or, and this is probably the worst admission, got bored! There it's out in the open now.

It's not that I don't read the bible regularly. I do. But I tend to stick to the same well worn passages. There's a huge part of the bible's - I should say God, shouldn't I? - message I've been missing out on. I've seem reading plans and concordances. I've even tried them, but they haven't really worked for me. I don't know why.

Latterly I've been feeling spirit pushing me towards a more complete understanding of God's word. Again, I looked at the things I'd tried in the past and thought no. Try something a little different. So, I've bought myself the One Year chronological Bible new living translation. I chose this for 3 reasons:
  1. My home bible is Good News and I've also used NIV a lot, so this is a translation I'm not that familiar with. Friends of mine who were married in April used it and I liked the way familiar reading came alive when a slightly different set of words are used.
  2. I can read the whole bible in a year without having to refer to multiple books, a bible etc.
  3. It being chronological means the bible has been re-arranged to reflect the history of the story, so everything is in context.
I only picked it up today, so it's too soon to say how well I get on. My hubbie told me not to read on too far ahead and spoil the ending!

I did look back, though, to see the readings on my birthday. One passage in that day's readings really felt as though it was written especially for me and I have taken great strength and comfort from it already:

Deuteronomy 31:6

So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.”

The back of the bible says it should only take 15 minutes per day. Given the amazing things God has done, does do and will do for me, I think it's the least I can do for Him.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! It was only when I started studying for the ministry that I realised just how profoundly ignorant of the Bible I was. Most people would say that I knew the Bible - then I took courses on the Old and New testaments. Wow! What an eye-opener! I loved it!

    This summer I have taken to studying 1+2 Kings - and getting a new perspective on the kingdoms and the prophets.

    I also found this site which is interesting:
    http://virtualtheology.net/

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!