Sunday 23 August 2009

Just visiting

As I've had a couple of meetings this week, my assessor "gave" me the Sunday off. At the time she mentioned this, I was a little surprised. I am enjoying the new experience of attending another church and being involved in their worship. That said, the CFA is supposed to take a maximum of 8 hours per week. Once preparing for meetings, worship etc, reflection time and keeping my journal are all included, it's surprising how much it all adds up.

I was swithering whether or not to visit my home church, especially after last time I was there. But the congregation there are my friends. No, they in many ways are my extended family. No matter where I go, they will always have a concern and love for me. Also, my minister had been in touch. She wanted to maybe meet up with me to see how I'm getting on, where I'm at the moment, how my home church can support me etc. That swayed it for me. Go to my home church and see my minister.

After the service, once I'd caught up with some of the congregation and my minister had been seen by everyone who wanted to see her, I managed to arrange to meet with her. It will be good to properly catch up with her and let her know how things are going at my placement and how I feel about my calling.

When I first ventured out to follow God's calling I felt guilty having to leave some of the things behind I had been involved with. In particular young church. The young church superintendent was a star - he told me I was not letting anyone down following my calling. Today, some of the children who know me (there's been a few new families come, which is great!) just acted as though I'd never been away. I see that as a huge complement. I wasn't leading young church, I hasten to add!

The superintendent has even been inviting me to the young church meetings, as he wants to keep me "involved" and appreciates my ideas and support. I had been to a couple of meetings, but there's now as many, if not more, children I don't know than do. I don't think I can contribute as much as I have and don't think I should. Someone else needs to do the things I did. No-one is indispensable! So, although I was invited to the young church meeting tomorrow, I'm not going. This year I don't feel guilt about this. Last year I did.

Since I started my CFA extension, my sense of calling has strengthened and deepened. I feel I can move into God's call for me as He goes before me to make preparations for me, stands beside me as I go into the unknown and moves me through His Holy Spirit to do the right thing by Him, while not forgetting who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!