Sunday 12 July 2009

Formal introductions

Today I was formally introduced to the congregation where I am doing the remainder of my CFA. The experience was totally different to my first placement. The minister showed me exactly where everything was, gave me information on how the mics work and explained how the service would go.

I went into the church with the minister and sat with her during the whole service. During the intimations she introduced me to the congregation and wished me the best and hoped I would enjoy my time with the church. This allowed everyone to get a good look at the new girl and me used to sitting at the front of a congregation during a whole service. This was a bit more what I expected during my last placement, as a minister will normally sit up front for the whole service and that's very different to taking part in worship, but being in the congregation and only stepping up for you part.

The readings seemed to go well. I felt I delivered them well and would be heard. After the service many of the congregation commented that they enjoyed my reading and I have a good clear voice.

As an aside, the first reading (Amos 7:7-17) really spoke to me. I suppose in some ways it could be said I was sent back to my home town (or, in my case church). Also, I am a civil servant and colour in for a living, but God is sending me to spread his message, just as Amos was a herdsman.

At the end of the service, I left the worship area with the minister and stood with her while the congregation left. This allowed me to individually meet them and get used to that part of ministry. Again, that was something I didn't get the chance to do at my previous placement. When I tried I was told it wasn't necessary.

I have a meeting with my local assessor on Thursday and, if my presbytery rep can make it, my formal CFA agreement will be drawn up. If not, it can wait. Again, arranging that meeting was very different from my last experience. Here, I was given 3 evenings this week we could meet. At my last placement, I was told when we would meet and it didn't go down too well when I couldn't make it. I understand how busy ministers are (I've seen enough of their diaries!), but I too have things to do. My new assessor seems to understand much better.

I feel much more with the assessment this time. I know I am being watched and assessed with all I say and do. I am much happier with that and feel I will get the guidance and support I need during this period of growth and exploration which I didn't receive last time. All in all, today was a very positive experience and I hope it continues to be.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! Now, relax and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - sounds very positive. Enjoy the ride :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!