Tuesday 14 July 2009

Home Made

I was very domestic this afternoon. I made strawberry jam from the strawberries which have taken over our front garden - great weed suppressant, though. I even used fair trade sugar and some of the jars are years old. Talk about reducing our food miles and carbon footprint

I've been making my own jam, marmalade and chutney since the last recession. Then, I was in my mid teens, money was tight with both my Mum and Uncle being either unemployed or in very low income jobs. It was also when interest rates went through the roof and those with a mortgage really felt the pinch. Anyway, I worked out how much cheaper making jam was verses shop bought and I've never looked back. Nothing compares with home made jam and there's something quite wonderful about the smell of the jam wafting through the house - it's one of the smells of summer for me.

Before the crash back in February, I didn't need help doing things like this. In fact I was probably too independent. Today, I had to get my hubbie to help me out, as I can't safely lift the big pot when it has jam in it. It's partly strength, but mainly the pain I get lifting heavy things. Not a good idea with all that boiling sugar!

Yes, so I've lost a little Independence, but I've gained the knowledge of my limitations and the humility to ask for help. I so often find it amazing how everything works out and comes good in the end. Change is constant, but it is how we deal with it that matters. I pray I can accept change more freely and embrace it, even when it is imposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!