Sunday 5 July 2009

Chalk and cheese?

I attended the church where I'll be doing my next 6 months of CFA today. It's a fairly new building, but that's a replacement to another which went on fire.

It was a really friendly welcome with everyone on the door even shaking hand with us. That's something I've never experienced at any church I've ever visited! Prior to the service starting, there was a lively buzz about the place, with the congregation chatting in fellowhsip with one another. Where my hubbie and I sat all those around us said "hello" or "good morning". Quite a change from my last placement!

The service was Church of Scotland, but with elements I hadn't encountered before, but I really liked. At the start of the service the minister invites the congregation to say "hello" to those around them. A good bit of inclusion and fellowship, I thought. Also, it took a couple of minutes, so that'll pad out the service!!! The other element I've never encountered before was the whole congregation joins hands during the short song they sing post-benediction. Those around us ensure we were included. I really liked that and think more churches should do it, though I knew at the time (and he later confirmed it) that it was outwith my hubbie's comfort zone!

Post service, I met with the minister briefly. I've already learnt more about why CFA is used than I did in my time at my previous placement. The minister was really down-to-earth and open. I'd hold fire getting too enthused with how wonderful she is now (I've only been to 1 service and met her for 1/2 hour), but I really feel this placement is going to be poles apart from my prior one.

Interesting times ahead, I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!