Sunday 4 August 2013

The end is nigh

Today I am aware I am about to enter my final week at Railway Crossing and First Stop. I have really relished the experience of being here for the summer. I know I have grown and settled in very well.

The coming week is going to be a busy one, with the summer holiday club taking place in Railway Crossing. I have warned the other leaders I am very relaxed with these things. I already surprised one of the leaders by having a laugh when we were 'quality testing' the giant jenga. Apparently they've never seen a minister laugh than much...the poor people.

I'm really looking forward to the holiday club. I have missed not having any youth work for a year, due to none taking place at Caledonia Kirk. My concern is there may be an undertone of 'get them to church', which I rail against, but time will tell.

I'm amazed how the congregations have taken me, so it seems, to my heart. I am who I am and don't try to be anything different, perhaps that's why. I also regularly get positive comments about my sermons - they like that I don't waffle and I leave them thinking - that I don't give them all the answers. That's my intent - after all, I don't have them all - but I'm glad that comes across. Surprisingly, I was told one of the congregations laps up hell-fire and brimstone and I am just not that kind of preacher, so maybe the person who told me this thinks they like that because that's his style and reflects his theology?

Though I have enjoyed the experience, have met some wonderful people and seen beautiful scenery, this experience has confirmed I am not called to remote rural ministry. Not at this stage in my life or ministry, but I'll be careful completely dismissing it, as I don't want to give God too good a laugh.

After here, I am heading straight off to shadow a military chaplain. I don't know if I am called to that form of ministry, but it's an experience which I know will be useful in any ministry. Besides, I do like a man in uniform!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!