Wednesday 31 July 2013

Setting down other's burdens

Part of the 'deal' doing this work experience is, in addition to Sunday worship, also offer pastoral care. I must admit, I struggle with the definition of pastoral care, but that's probably a post for another time.

Apart from 1 attempted visit, I have been welcomed into people's homes with great grace and hospitality. As time has gone on, I may not have instantly recognised the names on a piece of paper, but knew some as soon as they opened the door. It has been a good way to build up relatioships and get to know the congregations better (which is made difficult with the lack of fellowship here - e.g. no teas after the service).

I do realise that some of these visits have been very emotionally draining. Without going into details, yesterday I had an 'interesting' time. Once I returned from a couple of visits I was wore out.

Which got me thinking, and Spot and I talked about it later that evening. Where, in parishes like this could I go to discuss these matters? In a urban or semi-rural setting, there's a reasonable likelyhood there would be a minister - a colleague - nearby with whom I could have a blether and we could both (or maybe as a larger group) offer each other support. Sort of pastoral support for pastors.

Here, the neighbouring parishes are miles away and I wonder how minister here get mutual support from one another (or an I being naive, and it doesn't really go on anyway?). I suppose, what I am really saying is I need to work through how I deal with all this 'stuff' which will come my way, that it doesn't burden me down to such an extent that I burn out. Definitely something I need to think about and work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!