Thursday 22 August 2013

Just doing my job

While I was up north, the congregations I was working with really liked me. Like - really, really liked me. Given their parish profile could indicate they are seeking a minister with a very conservative theology, either I was doing something wrong or their profile doesn't really reflect their wish (which might be a post for another time). By the end of my time there, I was being referred to as 'the minister' (note the lack of student or trainee, in that statement - humbling, a privilege and very, very scary!) and I was getting the impression they thought the sun was shinning from a certain orifice )this only increased when I said I brewed my own beer and wine and visited the pub - what is a girl to do to remove the shine!).

While reflecting on this with a friend the other day, they wondered if it was because I was there. Not just in terms of being in the area and leading worship on a Sunday, but meeting the people in the parishes, turning up at church and community events, visiting the sick and the lonely. Maybe it was - and I know in small communities word gets round quicker than a dose of diarrhoea, but that doesn't explain how many positive comments I received (and heard third, maybe even fourth hand - don't you just love Chinese whispers?) regarding the services I lead, especially the sermons. Those comments talked about how they liked that I didn't whitter on and knew when to stop; that I didn't tell them what to think; that I allowed round for people to have their own answers (and questions); that I (and I am quoting here) 'left them wanting more'. It's amazing to be seen as okay at this (knowing I really don't think I am that good), but isn't it just doing my job?

Being involved in the parish. Taking the church into the community (and the community into the church); being with people; sharing time with people; listening to people; sharing God's word in worship; not having all the answers, as I don't have them all; being myself; and holding on with all I can to the faith that I am following where God leads me and them.

If that's not doing the job, then what is. Or, more to the point, how depressing is it to think that these are things these communities aren't used to a minister doing. I do wish them well in their search for a new minister. Maybe my role up north wasn't just to gain experience, but to sow seeds of a different way of how a minister can be. Either way, I sincerely hope their new minister will be the right person for them and their communities.

1 comment:

  1. Your post echoes much of what I've experienced over the years first as an attached reader now as a locum minister (still can't believe it!) and I think its because when you're "normal" and can relate to people on an every day level they can respect what you say on a Sunday sincerely and from your heart. I think people need to know compassion and understanding and a bit of humour and a genuine desire to journey"with them", my husband is often baffled when I share how things are going but great as he is at ring a minister with 25 years experience he's more of a leader than a team player and enabler. Who knows! But it obviously works for you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!