Monday 19 August 2013

Both together, but apart

Yesterday, I managed to chum Spot to his 'final' act of worship. I won't add to what he said. Over the summer, if he has been visiting, I have been leading worship. As we progress through our training, actually being at the same church at the same time is going to become more and more difficult. Since Spot began the enquiry process, we knew this was one the cards, so times when we can worship together will be more precious.

Looking to a time 'before ministry' - or was there a time, but just a different form of ministry? - due to the involvement we had in activites in our home church, it was often the case we'd not be sitting together. I, due to being a Young church leader, would be heading off with the children during the second part of the service and he'd be running the projector. Yes, we were in the same building, but doing our own things for the church. Nothing has really changed, then.

I am aware that, probably from now on in, it will be a rare time where we are both 'bums on pews'. From the beginning of September I am covering regular pulpit supply in a local vacant charge* and Spot will begin his first placement, so I can't even go to support him much. He'll be good, though (not that I'm bias, oh no, not at all!). So, I do see that holidays and times where we can worship elsewhere together will be times to be cherished.

But, though ministry has its down sides (and this is just a tiny, tiny wee bit), after 2 years at uni, 3 placements and a long stint of work experience, I really am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing. Looking back, I can see I have been being formed to this role for a long time. The responsibility still terrifies me sometimes, but I know I do what I do trusting in God and trusting where he'll send me.

* In a interesting twist of fate, the last minister at First Stop (before their linkage with Railway Crossing) was the minister where I am going. It's a small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!