Thursday 15 August 2013

Men (and women) in uniform



So, my visit to RAF Lossiemouth. How did that go? Well., very well. It was a bit of a whirlwind tour of the base and I know it will take me a wee while to really process what I saw and was told.

The main things I noticed were just how respected the padres are by all the personnel (most of the civilians are ex-RAF or have close RAF connections), irrespective of religious affiliation. No one seems to bat an eyelid when a padre goes somewhere and there really is no area barred for them. As I was with the padres I was allowed to sit in on a couple of welfare meetings and no one was in the slightest bit bothered. That, I think, reflects how much respect and trust the RAF has in their padres.

While there I did volunteer to do circuits. Why? Because I am a masochist, but in for a penny, in for pound. It wasn't easy, but not as tough as I was expecting and, I must admit, the PTI was a very nice bit of eye candy (there had to be some benefit to looking and feeling like a sweaty bag of pooh!). Just like all other RAF personnel, the padres have to maintain a certain level of fitness, as they have regular fitness tests.

So, do I feel called to military chaplaincy? No. But, I have gained a great and very useful insight into the workings of the military. Wherever I may serve there may be ex-servicemen or may be near a base. Though a very small insight, it will be useful in the years to come. Who knows, maybe there will be an Air training corp in the parish and I may be their chaplain - again, this insight will be useful.

Highlight of the two days? Visiting 617 squadron (aka the Dambusters) and sitting in the pilot seat of a tornado...now those swistches on the left hand side, what are they for???!!!

1 comment:

  1. Pull the yellow and black handle. Go on. You know you want to...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!