Sunday 28 July 2013

"That'll be an ecumenical matter"

While I am training for the Church of Scotland, I realise a significant factor in that is my church upbringing being in The Kirk. If I had been brought up in the Scottish Episcopal Church (SEC), perhaps I would have trained for their ministry (which would mean, as a priest, making sacrifices...). At the end of the day, it's the Kirk I have been called to, but that doesn't mean I will not work with other denominations.

The other day I was talking to the local SEC priest. It was good to chat with a colleague who lives in the community. We could build up a relationship, exchange ideas and thoughts etc. I did find it reassuring that some of the 'issues' in this area I'd identified were similar to those he had (and I think he found that beneficial too). He's been here over 10 years, so was able to give me  bit more background on the parish and local area...it was very enlightening!

What saddened me was finding out there were former ministers here who would actively ignore SEC members on the street. No, saddened wasn't my first reaction - I was angry and embarrassed that fellow followers of Christ could be treated that way. At the end of the day, IMHO, all in this parish are parishioners of The Kirk, irrespective of which, if any, church they go to.

Funnily enough, there was never any suggestion the churches would work together (all churches, not just excluding SEC). Earlier on in this work experience I asked the question about sharing resources. The answer? Well, one church might loose members or children or new people to another church.

Really? Who cares? Surely it's better to present a bit of a united front? Surely, if someone wants to go to church, people should be happy that's happened, rather than saddened because they aren't another bum on a pew in their church? Surely it might even allow more and/or better outreach to take place, due to the sharing of resources?

Is it any wonder, then, that people in this community and its neighbouring communities from outwith the church just see squabbling and bickering and want no part in it? One thing I have like about my encounters with the local Christian fellowship here is the attitude of not caring what church people go to as long as they get a relationship with God. Round here, that is quite radical and very refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!