Thursday 4 July 2013

Here?

I've now been in the "Frozen wastes of the north" (as a friend put it, they know who they are!) for 5 weeks. So, it's half way through my work experience and I can't believe how quickly the time has flown in.

The concerning thing is there is a number of the congregation who seem to want me as their minister. Now, while that's a huge complement, they've only heard me preach 3 times (though I am aware that's more often than the average congregation hears a sole nominee) and theologically I suspect I may be miles away from those who would make that decision.

Besides, I really don't feel called here. Before I headed north, I wondered if this experience may point me towards a calling as a 'proper' rural minister - Spot told me I'd be on my own, as what would he have to do, both work wise and as someone called to OLM. After all, there is already an auxiliary attached to the congregations.

And, me being me, I've seen too many things I'd want to change - with the knowledge there is a strong resistance to change and a limited pool of people in the congregation who could help.

But, at the end of the day there isn't that spark, that certain something which I don't know what it would be, but I am fairly sure that when I am called I will feel it. Besides, the congregations have been vacant for pushing 3 years. I have over 2 years (at least) until I am finished training. That would be a real shame for the congregations and the communities they serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!