Thursday 11 July 2013

Ministering to their needs

Between Railway Crossing and First Stop, there are 3 services each Sunday. During my time here, I have been involved in all 3 services on 3 Sundays - and they were mainly during the first couple of weeks. Generally, the services have been divided between myself and the axillary attached.

I have found even doing a little in all 3 services is very tiring. In all, it's about 5 hours 'on' in the day. This Sunday, I am leading worship on all 3 occasions. So, I've have to prepare 2 orders of service, select 9 hymns (5 for the morning; 4 for the evening), write several prayers and 2 sermons. All this while entertaining visitors and juggling my pastoral duties!

Now, I know this is only a part-time gig, and I am not having to deal with the hustle and bustle of a 'normal' parish minister's work, but it's a lot of work. I suspect there are people who don't appreciate the amount of time and effort it takes to prepare a service. Nor how tiring it is doing so.

One thing I am reassured by is the time I am taking physically writing material is reducing from when I wrote my first sermon. That must have taken me 3-4 hours and I remember thinking how could I sustain that for a whole ministry. The funny thing is I know I am doing as much (if not more) thinking about what I am going to say. Maybe that's why the actual writing doesn't take as long now (maybe an hour for a sermon), as once I come to write it I already have a pretty good idea what I am going to say and where it is going to go.

One thing I am really enjoying and seeing the benefits of, while I am here, is leading worship Sunday after Sunday in the communities I am ministering too. I have go to know the people's concerns, hopes, fears. I an learning what's important to them and, perhaps, the gentle reminders needed to support and encourage them, especially during an extended vacancy. I can see how the services are linking together, even in an implicit way (both churches receive a number of visitors, so I do not like to refer too much to previous material, so as not to loose them).

Word is even seemingly travelling around the presbytery about me - and it's good. Now I don't think I do anything especially outstanding. What I do I do knowing God's got my back, If he didn't I'd be scunnered! But I seem to be getting complements from strange paths. It's heartening to know that trusting God is allowing me to minister to the people in this place in the way they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!