Monday 1 July 2013

A lesson Learned

Yesterday's services were quite a mix. Though the content was, predominantly the same for both Railway Crossing and First Stop, the contexts were not.

I arrived at Railway Crossing to be told a member of the congregation had died. So, that involved me dealing with a grieving congregation, which included family and friends of the deceased. I took a deep breath, checked the custom and practise there about announcing deaths in the notices and offered a quick, but heartfelt prayer for assistance.

It went well. I comforted the congregation as best I could. I realised, as I went through my service notes how little things could relate to loss of a loved one. After, the reaction as positive.

Then, the service at First Stop. It all seemed to familiar and started off reasonably well. That was until I started the sermon before the bible readings. Oops. Spot, realising I'd now got myself in a tizz stepped up to do the readings - the star that he is. The congregation was very gracious about it and laughed about it. One things for sure, I will never do that again!

I do think I've been so relieved that the service at Railway Crossing went well, under the circumstances, that I have lost focus. It's a good lesson for me, for many reasons. God will give strength when you don't think you have any. But don't loose focus on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!