Sunday 14 July 2013

A coming first

Throughout my varying placements there has been one type of experience I have really wanted to gain. A skill I know I will need to develop, as I will need it wherever I serve. I did gain a little experience of this while at Highland Cathedral, but was not 'in the driving seat' so to speak. My supervisor had done the hard work and I was just involved.

What is this I speak of? Funerals. As a parish minister, it will be my role (though I do not see it as a burden) to serve the whole parish. That includes funerals of those in the parish, if they want.

At Highland Cathedral, I lead prayers and bible readings. Both there and at Eagleside I sat in to observe a funeral visit. So, I have not visited a bereaved family alone, written a tribute or led a whole funeral service as yet.

That is, until now. There has been quite a few deaths in Railway Crossing's parish in the last few months. Over the last 2 weeks, there has been 3. I know that seems very small by many other parishes standards, but it is high in proportion to the population. I have been asked to led one of the funerals.

So, I have now done my first independent pre-funeral visit and written my first (draft) tribute. The funeral itself is later in the week. In the meantime I have to bring together the rest of the service. Thank goodness my Highland Cathedral supervisor got me to draw up my own funeral order last summer, though it may need a tweak or two for the setting.

How do I feel. I am thrilled. Not. No, the idea of 'going solo' on the funeral front absolutely terrifies me. There's no more that can go wrong in a funeral than any other act of worship where emotions are heightened, but less scope for error, which is understandable on the part of the bereaved. I know as I prepare for the service, it is in the knowledge I could not do what I am called to do without God having my back and the prayers and support of those who know me.

I pray this funeral helps the family in their grief and is a fitting tribute to their loved one. And that I don't mess up.

2 comments:

  1. Conducting funerals has been one of the most fulfilling parts of my ministry, knowing that you have the trust of the family to lead their farewell to a loved one is one of the most privileged parts of ministry for me anyway. I'm sure you will be fine with God at your back and prayers ascending. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you want to blether/ run by some practicalities, get in touch mate!
    And remember: God's got your back

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!