Wednesday 8 May 2013

How to choose

So, this stuff just started getting real! I have my first probationary placement interview yesterday. Now the dust's beginning to settle, it makes me aware just how much I need to learn and how little time I have to learn it.

But, on more practical matters, how to choose where to go. I have been given (well, given is perhaps too strong a word, but work with me here) a list of 4. 2 were ones I went with and the other 2 came out of discussion. I am prepared to keep an open mind, though not move house for the duration.

So, to find out which one fits, I wonder how I should go about choosing. I'm aware I will be working very closely with the minister wherever I go, so I need to be able to get on with them. I need to be stretched and challenged and allowed to fail (honestly - but not spectacularly). And, among all this, it needs to have the sort of ministry I feel called to, all with a list of 4. Not much to ask for!

In order to work out where I might go I had a look at the churches websites. (If I was honest, I would struggle to go somewhere that had no web presence, as that's how most people under 40 moving to a new area will look for a church.) I think, much like a church fayre, they can show what the church sees as important. So, if I cannot easily find the times of your services and a 'how to find us' (honestly, it's not difficult, just use google maps, but don't assume everyone knows were you are), what does that say about the ministry there?

It's like this. The people in the parish (or, worse, the congregation) may know where and when you met for worship, but anyone else wanting to find out this information would have to see the board outside the church. If I don't know where you are, I can't do that. Also, knowing spot's been looking for church times for his 50 acts of worship, what's easier to find can indicate what the church sees as more important to them.

Having said that, what have I found so far? Well, only one on my list has that information clearly on the home page, along with a short statement of what they believe. Another had a clear 'services' tab, which did list all the service times well. The third I had to click through 2 pages from the front page to get there, though I learnt a lot about their buildings getting there! And lastly, navigating pages, none of which were marked 'worship' or 'services' or something similar, I finally found their times, but they were listed in such a format that their 2 services actually looked like 5. If I, as someone who knows roughly what I am looking for is confused by that, what hope is there for someone who wants to find out about God, go to church, but gives up when they can't get basic information like the times of the services? They either go somewhere else or (more likely) nowhere. Not good.

Now, I know there will be people who will say the website is not the minister's responsibility. And I would agree with them. But ministers are the leaders of their congregations, so perhaps these facts being neglected or hard to find or difficult to make heads or tails of can be a reflection of the leadership in those churches.

Which is a long way round to me saying those 2 churches with the poor service information are working their way down my list. Is that an acceptable way to filter - how easy is it to find the where and when of a church's service times from its website?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog, which I've recently returned to reading.

    A couple of thoughts occur:

    "Ministers are the leaders of their congregations"... sometimes this is the case, often it is the expectation, but should they be? Are all ministers good leaders? Is their role to lead as much as to encourage leadership? Should Kirk Sessions (including minister/s) in fact be the leaders of their congregations?

    Secondly, why does your probationary placement need to have the sort of ministry you feel called to? Might it be that you could have a whole load of learning experiences in one type of charge/alongside one type of ministry (on probation), that you could then draw upon in an entirely different situation in your first charge? (Something like this happened with me). You may also find that your sense of what type of ministry you are called to is either challenged or affirmed, or otherwise modified, by working in a situation that is not your calling as you currently see it.

    Alternatively I could be talking mince! :-)

    Blessings
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave

      Thanks for dropping by.

      I agree, Kirk Sessions and others within the church community are leaders of the church, so ministers don't have this exclusive role. That said, whether I like it or not, I will be seen as the leader of the community. I want to learn from someone who knows they are placed in that role, but wants all the leaders in the church to be invloved in the leadership (if that makes sense?).

      As I have had challenging placements, and know probation will be challenging, I don't think I should be making a rod for my back at a 15 months full-time placement. I want to be built up, challenged and to grow during that time. I also know, round these parts, I have a limited choice where I go, so need to be a bit flexible. I think as long as I can get on with my supervisor and the congregation is happy with me being there, everything else is a bonus.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!