Tuesday 21 May 2013

Getting real

I sat my last exam for this academic year yesterday. That one, I feel, went reasonably well. Hopefully the results will be okay too.

So, pending results, that's another year of this degree over; another year closer to probation; another year closer to ordination.

[At this point, I run around the living room with arms in air, going AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH]

In so many ways, I can see how gifts (which I used to think were hindrances) or things I have done or experienced all through my life have been training me for ministry. And I never knew it. As I go on this journey, I know this is exactly what I should be doing (and sometimes wonder if I should have went for it earlier - but it's God's timing, not mine). But the idea that not too far into the future I will be a minister sometimes terrifies me

I was speaking to a piscy friend the other day. She began uni at the same time as me and will be ordained into a curateship around this time next year - NEXT YEAR!!! Someone I have studied with, someone I am friends with is going to have the whole apostolic succession laying of hands thingy NEXT YEAR!. I was scared, not for her, but for me. Peers and friends are getting ordained soon. THIS IS GETTING VERY, VERY REAL.

And breathe.

3 comments:

  1. Mrs G I'm so glad there are going to ministers who give their feeling free reign! Sharing your excitement as I too run around the room whooping with joy with The mad puppy thinking I'm playing a doggy game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Leah, you misunderstand. That wasn't an expression of joy, but fear.

      Sometimes the thought I am becoming a minister scares me shitless.

      Delete
  2. I get that too Mrs G, and I still can't believe its going to happen. At the last probationers conference talking about what we re actually doing in the sacraments"standing in the place of Christ" I was totally overwhelmed by the awesomeness and privilege. Not to mention the logistics in baptism , a wriggly baby , water , the words! And we've never even practiced those bits all together! But yay I'm pretty excited too, in fact my son gets married next month and I'm probably more excited about my ordination!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!