Thursday 9 May 2013

Church notices

This is a bit random, but my head's full of Scottish Medieval Religion c1400-1560!

When should church notices come in the service? I have experienced them before the actual act of worship occurs, just after the first hymn, once the children go out and not at all.


Lets start look at them in reverse order. Not at all, are you kidding me? Do you not even want to say 'good morning' and welcome the congregation (especially visitors)? Remind me to wipe my feet on the way out!

After the children leave. So, assuming this is around half way through the service, have you welcomed people? If not, I refer you to my actions above. If you have, are the children not allowed to hear what goes on in their church (yes, it's there's too!) and the same goes for their leaders (and parents potentially too).

After the first hymn. Now, I can see the merit. It's at a time where people have gathered and allows for stragglers. As long as before the children go to do their thing, they can hear them, as can their leaders. I'm just (and this is a very personal thing) not very sure it should form part of the actual act of worship.

Which brings me to the last (and my preferred option), before the service begins. For me, that is before the actual formal beginning to the service - i.e. before the call to worship. It begins at the stated service time and there's probably some kind of 'ritual' (oh, I hate that word) which indicates things are beginning. It allows all who are gathered to hear them (or for their attention to be drawn to them) and should include the formal welcome. But, I don't think it forms part of the actual act of worshipping God, hence my preference.

So, where do you think they should be (as opposed to where they are wherever you worship)?

5 comments:

  1. Some thoughts for you.
    What is our act of worship but bringing all things before God. Why leave some things outside of that?
    Why not 're-frame' the notices in terms of things to celebrate, seek guidance on, ask for blessing upon?
    A church I visited was in the habit of passing round a radio mic for individuals and organisation/group leaders to share personal and church news. These things were by way of 'intimation' but were then worked into the intercessory prayers immediately following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with that, so that's why I don't have especially strong views about them being part of the service. I just get twitchy when (assuming the children leave) they are done without the children and their leaders.

      And, again, I can see the merits of passing round a radio mic, but am aware that would only work in certain settings. Worth trying, at some point, though.

      Delete
  2. I've also seen them given at the end (a welcome having been given at the beginning). The merit of that is that if you want people to sign up for something, stay around for coffee or a meeting etc, then you remind them to do so. But if you don't want notices during the "act of worship" then it only works if your liturgy ritual (yup, even the kirk has 'em!) doesn't have a formal procession back out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours are printed and given out with the order of service, and I briefly draw attention to the most important ones - before the service begins and after the welcome. I don't like them to be overly intrusive. I suspect this stems from years worshipping in a big busy church where the minister read out every intimation and it seemed to go on forever before we got to worship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo - don't think I've had such a popular post for a while!

    I think I'm with you Danny, though know people can get twichy if the one they think is important isn't read out!!!

    Pausingplace - firstly, thanks for dropping by. Yes, the kirk has liturgy, I just don't like the word ritual, as I've watched too much Time Team!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!