Friday 10 May 2013

Parishes and otters

Over the summer I'll be having a couple of firsts. The first time where I will have had to prepare worship every week for almost every Sunday for a whole summer. The first time I've lived in a manse. The first time I've had a distillery in the parish. The first time I'll work closely with an auxiliary minister. And a few others, which will come up over the course.

I am looking forward to it. Being amerced in ministry, in a parish, for just over 2 months. Going along side the people there; me getting to know them and them getting to know me (oh, the poor people).

Technically, I think I'm 'contracted' for Sundays plus 2-3 days per week. It might be more, I doubt it'll be less. Be good to use the other time to see the area, go for walks, do some cycling and take some photos (a hobby which has been sadly neglected since I started uni). I am assured there are Arctic terns on the beach and otters in the river. Probability of me getting photographic evidence of the latter - low. But I look forward to taking the time to try.

It'll be strange being so far away from home. This is about double the distance I was when I went away for my summer placement at Highland Cathedral last summer. I'll also be in the house on my own. Not that that bothers me, I'm quite comfortable with my own company. It will be odd not having spot come to visit me every weekend, just it's just too far and he doesn't want to leave the house too long (though he may come up for a week or two).

Mostly, I'm looking forward to being my own boss. Like last summer, most demands I'll be placed under will be mine. Yes, there will be some meetings, assemblies and holiday club stuff which will go into my diary, but most things I will plan myself.

I just feel so lucky I am in a position where, when these opportunities come along, I can take them up. Spot supports me and we don't have anyone else to take care of which limits how much I take on. I pray these experiences will all pay off in the end. I'm sure they will. After all, God's got my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!