Wednesday 29 May 2013

Heading north

On Friday I am heading north for my work experience. I first spoke about taking part, if it was running, last year. It was back in February I agreed to go, which seemed ages away. Now, it's just a couple of days away and it's just a wee bit strange.

I will be going somewhere I've only passed through (once?) several years ago. I have never been to the church and have only really communicated with some of the office bearers by email. A bit of a weird set up, I know, but given the distance, there was no way I could go for a visit before I agreed. They sound like a friendly bunch and I know people who stayed on holiday in the area a few years ago, who found the congregation small, but very welcoming and helpful.

I suspect the first few days are going to be a bit of an assault on the senses, as I get introduced to many people, find my way around the area and begin to get the measure for the place, people and congregation. And I know there will be the welcoming committee when I arrive. While that's lovely (and to be expected), when I'm tired (which I will be after the long drive, I'll have to remind myself to be nice. As long as they feel me a lot of tea, I'll probably be fine.

Again, I'm away from home. You'd have thought last year would have skunnered me, but the opportunity to live in a parish, in the manse, as 'the minister' does not usually come along before ordination. The way I see it, the more experience I gain, the better. That's driven, in part, by as I go through this process realising that the more I learn, the more aware I am of how little experience I have, how 2 and a bit years isn't that far off and just how much God is covering my back. (Which is just as well, as I really couldn't do this any other way).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!