Sunday 27 March 2011

Must be doing something right

When I was a child/teenager if I was out and about, especially with friends, and saw a teacher or leader of an organisation I was a member of I'd avoid them. Usually no matter how well I got on with them in during the time organisation met or how approachable they were. They were the grown-up, I was the child and it was totally uncool to acknowledge their presence (and even more embarrassing if they spoke to you, especially in front of your friends!!!).

Of course, there were certain leaders/teachers I would go to talk to. I couldn't put my finger on why, but they had that certain something that made you really respect/admire them and also not want to offend them by ignoring them. Besides, they were cool, so they wouldn't make me look uncool with my friends.

I never for a minute imagined I would be one of those kind of leaders, until yesterday. Spot and I were heading through out local shopping centre when a couple of children from the youth club I help with stopped us for a chat. I hadn't spotted them,. but they shouted hello across at us and we chatted random stuff, April fools and youth club. Only afterwards did I realise, wow - they didn't avoid me.

Now, in essence, children are the same now as they always have been. I see myself in so many children I come across (especially the slightly cheeky ones!). I never turn them away and always try to answer their questions and, believe me, I have been asked some interesting questions. But, I hated grown-ups patronising me when I was a child and not answering my questions, so it would be double standards of me not to do what I do. Besides, I'm just doing what Jesus taught us (Matthew 19:14, for example). The way I see it is by doing what I do, which is pretty much just talking to them, I am showing Christ's love for them, though they may not necessarily get that at the moment.

So, if children are coming across to say hello and chat to me outwith youth club, I must be getting something right. Some don't have any church connection bar the youth club, but perhaps the seeds I and the other leaders are sowing will grow into something wonderful in the future. The smallest seeds can be the biggest plants, though. Perhaps that is part of my calling. Only God knows. I pray he will guide me to do right by all people, including children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!