Sunday 3 April 2011

Reflection on today's service


As I was away for a few days this week, I had prepared all of today's service bar the sermon before I went away. I had a rough idea for the sermon and had done most of my reading prior to my break.

It didn't really take me that long to write the sermon on Friday night, probably due to the leg work already done. Although I knew where I was starting, I was surprised where the sermon led me. It's amazing what the holy spirit will do.

Anyway, I hadn't looked again at other elements of the service - prayers, children's address and hymns - until today. I just couldn't believe who well it all tied in with the theme.

There are some in my home church who think I am really good at this and very impressed at how I bring it all together. I wonder if they realise there's probably no one more surprised than I am!

Prior to the service beginning at the second of my home churches, a member of the congregation said he hoped I would include, in the prayers of intercession, a prayer for Ronan Kerr a police officer killed by a bomb in Northern Ireland. I don't like doing this, as I immediately thought of the people killed in Afghanistan following the Koran burning, among other things. The prayers remanded unchanged, but there was a silence included which would have allowed this person to remember Ronan Kerr

There was an issue with the microphone at the second service this morning. There was a lot of static coming through, so I took off my jacket as that may have been causing it. No, that still didn't work, so I had to change to another mic. And all this was during the sermon. I knew I had to stop to deal with it as it was a really annoying noise. I was glad I don't have a hearing aid, as it must have been horrific for those who do. It was bad enough for those without.. Ne'er mind, these things happen. I must admit, underneath I was going "I don't need this, I don't need this", but outwardly I kept calm and carried on, but there was nothing else for it.


After the service, I received positive feedback for many in the congregation. They all appreciate being able to hear. I must admit, I have a voice which carries and it has got me into trouble in the past. Never thought it would come in handy, though. Also, I have very good hearing. but sometimes I can't hear my minister very well as they sometimes mumble or talk too quickly. There's no point delivering an amazing message if no one can hear.

One member of the congregation told me she loves the way I explain things so well. She also said "You know, we're all very proud of you, Mrs Gerbil?". This is so humbling, though I think I turned as red as the top I am now wearing and it takes a lot to embarrass me! Actually, I get embarrassed when praised or people try to make me the centre of attention. I try to avoid both!

Overall, the service seemed to go really well. I know I am only saying what God is guiding me to say. I pray those who heard the service will be guided by the holy spirit in the way God needs them to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!