Friday 18 March 2011

Is any job better than none?

I was reading this article yesterday. Much of what was said resonated with me, from my own experience and that of those close to me.

Back at the beginning of the last recession (the early '90s), my Mum was made redundant. She, as with many of her generation, had been in her "job for life" and had just completed 29 years with the company. Also, she was brought up to work - not "sponge off" the dole.

After a couple of months out of work, she really started getting down. Luckily (so we thought) she was offered a job in a local butchers, though how lucky that was at £2 an hour, we would soon find out. Once working for that company, she realised it perhaps wasn't lucky - or at least those of us closest to her thought that. The hours were long. Officially, it was 40 hours per week, but often as not it was 50-60, with no overtime payments. Complain and you'd get your P45. The catch being, as you'd made yourself unemployed, you would not be entitled to any unemployment benefits.

Then, it came to Christmas. employees of this company were expected to start work at 5am, often not leaving until 6pm. Again, no overtime or time in lieu was paid. It was taken to be part of the job. If you didn't like it, close the door on the way out. Given the state of the economy in the area at the time, and my Mum's mental health, that wasn't going to happen.

Mum became more and more depressed. She didn't have a routine. If the company needed her to work late, she had to. The company needed her to work weekends, she had to. There were no holidays, during her time there, otherwise she would have had to work them, no doubt.

Fortunately, for Mum's well being, the company decided to shut the shop Mum was working at. No transfer was possible and I have to admit I was pretty relieved. A few months later, she started a course at the local college and, once that finished, began working for Crossreach (of the Church of Scotland department of Social responsibility as it was then). Finally, she had a job where she was listened to and valued. Where there was a routine and, if she had to work late, she received time in lieu. That job, I'm sure, saved her life.

Fast forward a few years. I started working for a land survey company. It was shortly before minimum wage came in. If minimum wage had been applicable at the time, my salary would have been 20% higher than they were. I suppose I should have had alarm bells going off at that, especially as I was recruited as a graduate with survey experience!

While working for that company, I couldn't plan anything. I regularly worked 12, 14, sometimes 16 hour days, getting home cold and wet at 10pm. knowing I'd have to start work again at 8am. I would get home, have something to eat and go to bed. In the morning I would pull on my wet steel-toe capped boots, as I needed to wear them on site.

I had to work weekends, again at short notice, even if I had something planned. I even had to work night shifts at Heathrow airport, for a couple of months, sharing a room in a house with 10 people and 1 bathroom. Nice.

At one point, I saw the owner of the company physically assault one of my colleagues. I also experienced verbal abuse for failing an eyesight test necessary for working on railways. I have told my employer I would fail, due to not being able to see out of one eye. I was told I should have remembered the eye test card and just said it when they tested that eye. I'm sure the HSE would have loved that!

Due to the long hours, not getting enough sleep and constantly having to wear wet boots, I pretty much had a permanent cold. I also started to get really down. I knew I had to get out and the company's attitude was really adversely affecting my mental health.

The turning point for leaving was I was going to T in the Park. I had booked some of my precious leave to attend. About a week before the event, I was told by my boss I was being sent to Birmingham for 2 months. But what about my leave? Tough.

I know it's only a music festival, but this wasn't the first time I'd paid for tickets for an event, only to be set away for the duration. That, combined with all the other things going on the company, was the straw that broke the camel's back. I went home and told my family what had happened. I also told them I was going to quit. They were so supportive of me, as they knew the affect the company was having on my health - both physical and mental.

When I went in the following day and handed in my notice, it was such a relief and one of the best decisions I have made. Okay, leaving without having anything to go to did mean I was out of work for a couple of months, but I was happy. Money is definitely not everything.

Funnily, while I was looking for another job, a very good friend of mine suggested ministry. I think I laughed and gave a list of reasons why not. Again, I think that was another seed being sown for me. But, there's a time for everything. That wasn't my time.

So, a good job with a good employer will improve mental health. A bad job with a bad employer will have a detrimental effect on mental health. I'd fully agree. I've seen and experienced both. I also know a bad job can become a good job with a decent employer and vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!