Thursday 26 February 2009

Lent

I'm not one who usually gives up anything for Lent. I sometimes reflect on Jesus' journey to the cross. A journey He was destined to undertake at the beginning of time.

This year, Lent's a bit different. I'll be reflecting on my journey of call exploration since last June's enquirers' conference. The challenges, encouragement, love and growth I have experienced and continue to experience since then, especially since the start of my co-ordinated field assessment.

Also, I'm giving up a few things for lent:
  • riding motorbikes
  • climbing
  • washing dishes
  • cleaning the bathroom
  • carrying rucksacks
  • and, at the moment, I might as well be celibate!
To name a few. of course, all of those examples have been imposed on me, as a result of my accident.

I know lent reflects Jesus going into the wilderness for 40 days. Was it a choice, though? I've often wondered that and don't think it was. I feel Jesus did it as it was something he had to do. To fully prepare Himself for His death on the cross. Perhaps even to "see" if there was another way - did humanity really need this?

Yes, we did and we were cleansed forever by the sacrifice of God Himself on the cross, so death would no longer be the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!