Tuesday 3 February 2009

Amazing Grace!

One of the books my supervisor recommended I read was "What's so amazing about Grace?" by Phillip Yancey. What with him being off sick, I thought I'd get it read.

The basic tenet of the book is what grace is and why only Christians can dispense it. Well, having now read this book, I think I already know what grace is, but Yancey, I feel, didn't really answer why only Christians can dispense it.

There were a lot of examples from his own experience of what grace looks like and "ungrace" as he termed it. That said, the examples weren't ones I could easily relate to. Either they were too specific experiences, such as his white southern American upbringing, or I didn't agree with his take on events, such as his gay friend and how Yancey dealt with it. Personally, the ultimate conclusion of the events around his relationship with his friend made me wonder just how graceful Yancey had been.

I found the book laboured many points, basically saying the same thing over and over, with little extra detail. I also felt it was very political, despite Yancey saying, in effect, that religion and politics shouldn't mix. Many of the examples of how the "world" perceives Christians and the church looked to me not the world's view, by America. Again, this took the message into areas I have no experience or, really, any knowledge of.

Yancey takes about loving the sinner, not the sin and I applaud that. But everytime Jesus forgave someone - showing his grace - he also told them to go and sin no more. Yancey's definition of grace did not mention that. I think that was too simplistic a view.

Having read the book, I don't know any more about grace than I did before. In fact, if that was my introduction and I wasn't as sure of what grace means to me, I would have felt really inadequate. Also, I didn't feel challenged at all reading it. All the other books I've read so far during the CFA have challenged me to a greater or lesser extent. This washed over me.

I know many people love this book but, frankly, the hours I've spent reading it I will never get back!!!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Yancey's book, but I read it back in 1999 or 2000... and it was 'of the moment' then. It is a book I suspect is now very dated... attitudes to lots of the things he covers have moved on hugely since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think that is one of many things about it I didn't like.

    Each to their own, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!