Monday 23 February 2009

Not doing things by halves.

My husband and I rarely do anything by halves - it's all or nothing. Breaking our collar bones is no exception.

We were at the local hospital fracture clinic this morning. I only saw my X-ray and, although I'm no expert, I could see it was a bad break - the surgeon I was speaking to confirmed this! Normally, a broken collar bone only needs a sling, time and pain killers. It will knit itself together normally. The way our collar bones have broken, this won't happen. The surgeon gave us two options:
  1. Let the bone heal naturally, but loose some shoulder function - i.e. no lifting our left arms. Or,
  2. Go into hospital for day surgery and have a plate inserted to hold the collar bone together.
Well, personally I thought it was a no-brainer. Of course I want to use my left arm properly. Not only is it really painful at the moment, I can feel how lop-sided I am. Also, not being able to raise mt arm would make even getting dressed very difficult.

I have opted for the surgery, as has my husband. Yes, many people we know would say we do everything together, but even we think this is taking it too far! My husband, bless him, asked to delay the surgery so he could better help my post operation. The surgeon explained that wasn't an option as he'd have to potentially get busy with hammers and chisels (way too much information for me!).

The operations are on Wednesday. Both my husband and I hope the metal plates are slightly ferrous - then we'll be able to put fridge magnets on our clavicles!!! Yeah, perhaps we do need to get out more, but not at the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!