Thursday 12 February 2009

Quick update

I've not had a lot to say for myself of late and I was away in York last weekend - I'll post about that over the weekend.

My supervisor is still off sick and I've finished the tasks we'd agreed I'd undertake at our last meeting, so I'm a bit in limbo. My presbytery rep's been helpful, but as she's not been trained to do the CFA, she can't take over from my supervisor. which is fair enough. I've contacted 121, but the person dealing with the CFA is on leave and no-one else seems able to help. I'm not too worried, as I've said before, everything happens for a reason.

Scarily, I'm preaching in my home church on Sunday. My minister's father is visiting, so he asked the worship team to do the service, so he can spend more time with his Dad. My husband landed me in it with the sermon! I'll get him back later, but revenge is a dish best served cold!!!

I've now written the sermon and the worship group are supposed to be having a run through tonight. I'm not wanting to let anyone hear my sermon until Sunday. It's been snowing most of the day, so that might give me the excuse I need not to head out tonight!

Fingers crossed it goes down okay. I'm a sermon virgin. My home church will be gentle, I'm sure!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hope all goes well on Sunday for you. What's your passage/topic? I've always found preaching in front of my home congregation to be more daunting than in a place you're not known. I think there's an 'expectation', on both sides. That said, you will get plenty of support and encouragement and that's very valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John.
    The passages are Psalm 30 and Mark 1:40-45, so we're sticking to the lectionary.

    The topic is compasionate community. I may evn post me sermon after Sunday, if if goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck for Sunday! It's daunting preaching on home turf - but you will get lots of support. Most folks will be rooting for you. I found my congregation very forgiving and very supportive the first time I preached there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there
    i have also found my home congregation to be very supportive and very encouraging. Your first sermon is daunting but i am sure you will enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!