Monday 2 February 2009

Buckhaven

As I mentioned in an earlier post (here, as part of my CFA I am to visit 3 or 4 churches and write a review on them.

Yesterday my husband and I went to Buckhaven Parish church. It's an older church (mid 1800s), with some re-modelling looking to have been done in the 1970s. It is part of a linked charge with East Wemyss, so that will pose an other set of challenges for the minister.

The welcome was really positive. All on the door said good morning and ensured we got orders of service and hymn books. They still use CH4 and Songs of God's People, but Buckhaven is a fairly deprived town and there almost certainly won't be money to replace them. Nothing wrong with that, though.

At the start and end of the service, the bible is brought in and taken out from the church. During those times the congregation stands. The order of service did note this, so we weren't in the dark as to what was going on. Personally, I don't mind if the bible stays in the church all the time or is brought in and out to mark the service, but I do think there should be some ceremony to it. My home church leaves it in and my placement church take it in and out, but with no ceremony, so it you were visiting you probably wouldn't notice.

Unfortunately, there were no children or young people in the congregation. My husband and I were the youngest. I'd guess, apart from the minister and deacon, the congregation were 60+. It was predominately female and there were about 70 people at the service.

The minister and deacon shared the service, with the minister doing the readings and prayers and the deacon the sermon. The service is the same as at East Wemyss, except for there is a children's address there, I later established.

At the beginning of the service, the minister welcomed everyone to the service and invited us all to say good morning to those around us. At that point, everyone shook hands etc. This despite they had all already greeted each other. It was a little unexpected, but I thought it said a lot about the church. Very friendly - we were not left out. My husband did feel it a little out of his comfort zone, but he's a little stuffy when it comes to those things!!!

The general style of the service was very much like a "standard" Church of Scotland service (if there is such a thing). The theme of the service was us all having a unique part to play in the kingdom of God. Mmmh - some of what the deacon said sounded like the sermon was for me as much as the congregation. I've had that a couple of times since I've been to the enquirers' conference!!!

Immediately after the service, the lady sitting in front of me turned round and told me what a lovely voice I have. I was somewhat taken aback by that as I can't hold a tune in a bucket!!! I'm also not very graceful in accepting complements, though I did thank her profusely (admittedly in a slightly shocked state). My husband commented later on I should have told her digital hearing aids are available from the NHS (cheeky man)!!!

After the service there were teas and coffees. Not many people stay for coffees as the service finishes at 12:15 at least and many people want to get home for lunch. In saying that, they feel it is important to offer them. I found that added to my impression of the friendliness of the church.

No balance, if I had moved to Buckhaven and was looking for a new church, I would certainly visit Buckhaven Parish Church again.

3 comments:

  1. Stuffy?!?!? I'm going to sulk! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sulk all you want...just don't waste too much energy on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah think your husband and mine would get along... he is also a little stuffy ... so much so that he sat upstairs in our home church so there was no one nearby to greet him :-) Greeting is too touchy feely for him!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!