Tuesday 24 February 2009

The damage

Yesterday my husband and I visited the police recovery agency to collect our belongings from the Pan and inspect the damage. I think a picture tells a thousand words -



As you can see, the forks are bent, the front fairing is totally knackered, as is the side panels. We also saw the brakes are no longer functioning - believe me, they were on Saturday! - and the head stock (thing that attaches headlight, dash board etc to frame) is bent. Given this damage the frame is almost certainly bent too. The 1300 Pan European has an aluminium frame, and it's nigh on impossible to fix on of those when it's bent.

Bottom line is, we're pretty certain it's an insurance write-off. I've told my husband I do want to get on my bike and behind him, though given our injuries, that won't be for 2 or 3 months anyway. That said, if the insurance company says the Pan is repairable, I wouldn't trust it. I'd always doubt how well the frame etc had been repaired and would not have confidence in it. My husband thinks the same and would dig is heels in with the insurance company, if necessary. Hopefully, it doesn't come to that.

All in though, especially now I've seen the damage to the Pan and the car that pulled out in front of us, I firmly believe we were being looked after. We walked away. Really, bikers aren't supposed to walk away from collisions involving cars or anything bigger. Our injuries will heal and the bike's replaceable. Everything else is optional.

Perhaps, like may other things, in some weird way only God knows (and I do mean this literally) it happened for a reason. I do believe things happen for a reason, it would just be nice to know what the reason was sometimes. At the moment, though my husband and I are learning just how concerned people are for us and how much we can do with 1 pair of hands between us.

Love of each other, our friends, family and God will see us through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!