Tuesday 9 September 2008

The Process

In order to discover if I am really "called" to be a minister in the Church of Scotland, there is an Enquirers' process I have to go through.

So far, I have attended an Enquirers' Conference in Dundee. This lasted 24 hours, from a Friday late afternoon. There were about 100 enquirers and during the time we attended talks and semiars about the various jobs within the Church of Scotland; from full-time ordained Ministry to care worker in one of the Crossreach's (the social care provider branch of the Church of Scotland) care homes for the elderly. There are many ways to serve God, not just through ordained Ministry.

We also had some (not a lot) social time, where we could discuss our feelings with other enquirers. From my perspective, that was the most rewarded part of the event, as I realised I felt the same as many of the other enquirers who felt they are called to ordained Ministry - fear, excitement, nervousness, denial, "why me" etc. What a relief, I wasn't alone!

At the end of the Enquirers' Conference we were given details of the rest of the enquiry process, for those of us who wanted to become either ministers, deacons or readers. Firstly, we have a period of extended enquiry, for usually around 6-8 weeks, but it can be as long as 6 months. This, I think, is to let us see what we're letting ourselves in for like I don't know). On completion of this, we can then enter a field assessment, which last 6 months. I'm not entirely sure what this involves, but I will be working with a minister (or minister) and doing services, pastoral work etc. Pretty much showing my potential to minister.

If my co-ordinator is happy with me at the end of the field assessment, I can then attend selection school, where my call will be tested to the limit (I'd imagine) during another 24 (I think) assessment. If that goes well, I would be selected as a suitable candidate to become a minister within the Church of Scotland.

If that is my call, and I am selected, I would have to go to university to study theology or divinity. While studying, I would also have some placements with churches to learn the non-academic part of the role. After uni, I would then have a 15 month placement with a church to learn all the part of the role, including the legal things, such as weddings. At least I'm aware the role of a minister is a lot more than 1 hour a week on a Sunday. I think many people don't realise that.

As you can see, there's quite a lot. I have a meeting with a minister who will be my co-ordinator on Thursday for my extended enquiry and will, hopefully, know more what's going on after that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!