Sunday 21 September 2008

The First Sunday

Today was my first day at my placement church. The main thing was I got there without getting lost!

I arrived fairly early, to make sure my supervisor wouldn't panic and to get changed from my biker trousers into jeans. It gets really hot. My supervisor, to be fair, did say that it didn't matter what I wore. I'll remember that when it's cold!

I did the readings (at least there was a reason for me to be there). Not many comments on them, other than 1 guy saying "aye, you did a'right wi' the readings lass". I took that as a complement.

Everyone at my placement church seemed really welcoming and friendly. After the service, there was a soup and pudding lunch, so that gave me the chance to chat to some of the members (a couple of whom I know though my former life as a cub scouter) and to my supervisor and his wife. My husband came up to join us for that. He's currently asking every ministers' spouse what the impact is for them. Personally, I think it's easier for a husband than a wife. Wives are traditionally expected to help with the Guild and Sunday School. Husbands weren't traditionally the spouses of ministers, so there isn't a "traditional" role for them. Probably not a bad thing.

Today there was also an induction in my home church. My minister's husband is also a minister, but in the 8 years they've been at our church he's been the house-husband; looking after their sons. Now the boys are all at school, it was natural he found something ministerial to do. My home church is also a linked charge - 2 churches, 2 lots of ministerial work. To cut a long story short, today was the induction of my minister and her husband as the joint ministers of the 2 churches. They're now both part-time. Most people think it's great. My "original" minister gets more time for herself and to spend with her sons and my "new" minister gets to use his calling.

Before the service, I managed to tell in person the individual I wanted to tell last week about my calling. I went up to her and said "I've something to tell you". Smiling, she replied "You're going to have a baby". "No, unless you know something I don't!" I then told her I wouldn't be at my home church very often as I feel called to ministry and that was part of the process to explore my call. To say she was thrilled was an understatement. She's a wonderful lady and has always been very interested with what I'm up to. I told her my husband would keep her up-to-date.

The service was good humoured, despite the formality of the occasion. After the service, there was refreshments. One of my home church's members came up to me and said "I've heard your news, that's brilliant. If you hurry up, you can bury me". Brilliant! So, I now have a booking!!! I did also point out to her that anyone can preside over a funeral.

I went to my female minister to offer my congratulations. She gave me a knowing look of "it'll be you one day". I told her about my "booking"; she laughed.

So far, everything is very positive. Even my husband is excited about what I'm up to and thinks I'll be good at ministry. As long as God is with me, I'm sure I can do anything he calls me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!