Saturday 27 September 2008

Coffee Mornings

This morning I was at my home church, helping with a coffee morning in aid of Riders for Health, the charity the young church is raising money for this year. Anyway, there were a few of the leaders, the ministers and some of the children there helping. This was also the first time I'd been at my church since telling them I was going on placement.

During the course of the morning, I got the impression the leaders were up to something. One of them came up to me and said "We're having to go to the young church cupboard". The tone was "and you're not to come". Now, if nothing had been said, I'd have thought nothing of it. They're getting something to prepare for tomorrow's lesson. Coming out with a line like that just rouses my suspicions. Also, the same leader went up to my female minister and (I can lip-read a bit) said "sign Mrs Gerbil's card". The minister made eye contact with me and the leader then moved round to block my view of proceedings!!! I had to pretend I was going to the toilet, as I needed to go somewhere for a good laugh. As my husband would put it, (and apparently did, to their faces) they were as subtle as a kick in the nuts!

I don't like a fuss, so they gave me a small gift in the kitchen, where I was on my own (thankfully). Unfortunately, I don't know the full contents of the gift, as we'd taken our motorbikes to the church and didn't have enough room to bring it home. My husband will get it tomorrow.

Touchingly, two of the young church came to give me the present. That's what I do these hings for, the appreciation of the children. I did tell them I wasn't away yet, but they told me they wanted to give me their good wishes.

This is where exploring my call is going to be toughest and I suppose a reason why I've run away from it for so long. I love the children (and the grown-ups too) of my home church. I feel I'm letting them down by not being there. Not being able to help them grow, learn about God and discuss trains and lego (amongst many other things). I know if this is part of God's plan for me, and I am called be a minister, He will also provide them with another leader who will lead them on the next part of their journey with Him. I hope I will remain in contact with a few of them, as I also regard their parents as good friends.

Getting back to more mundane things, though, the coffee morning raised just under £200. This sets the project well on target to raising enough money for a motorbike, training and tools for a health care worker and mechanic. You can learn more about Riders by clicking here, or on the Riders for Health at the start of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!