Monday 22 September 2008

The "Big" Questions

For discussion, I'd complied a list of 20(ish) questions I'd always wanted to ask a minister, but was afraid to ask. That was the title of the list. Anyone who knows me knows I've never been afraid to ask.

This lead to an interesting discussion tonight about ministry, in it's various guises, up to and including the ministry of word and sacrament (to use the full Church of Scotland phraseology). I'll publish the list at a later date, with my views. From this discussion I see even more clearly that I do know what I'm letting myself in for and just how rewarding and challenging a call it is. I fel very lucky to be working with the supervisor I have, as it seems to be developing into a give and take relationship already.

I'm also feeling very privileged that God wants me (yes, me!!!!!) to minister to his people for Him. The more I reach out to this call, the more it fits. I pray I can serve the Lord in the way he wishes me to.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'm doing a prayer and leading the children's address. Personally, I think children's addresses are the hardest thing to do in a service. You've to sum up the theme for the service to children aged 2-15 and this is the bit that most of the grown-ups are really paying attention. Get this right, you've won over everyone. Get it wrong and you've lost everyone. Also, you have to be prepare for children asking the "big" questions. My main concern if they'll be very quiet, for the new girl!

I have impressed my supervisor's sons, though. I turned my on my motorbike tonight and let them try on my helmet. Hopefully word will get round their junior church and the other children will be relaxed with me fairly soon. I think, if you win the children, everything else is a little easier. I hope my theory proves to be correct!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!