Sunday 14 September 2008

The first meeting

I met up with the minister who will be my co-ordinator for at least the next 8 weeks for my extended enquiry on Thursday. He was really friendly and put me totally at my ease, which was handy as I was quite nervous; not so much about meeting him, but the implications of the meeting.

We discussed some of our backgrounds. He's a son of the Manse (a Manse is a Scottish word for the house that a minister lives in), so I would have thought that would have put him off for life. We also discussed what would happen during this part of the enquiry process. We also discussed things I could attend, help out with etc.

Personally, I think this part is really vague (it must last at least 8 weeks, but can continue for up to 6 months). I also very much get the impression this part of the process is aimed at people exploring their call who really have absolutely no idea what a minister does, except 1 service a week on a Sunday. I think if it was that easy, there would be people applying to be ministers right, left and centre. I've never been that naive, even when I was a child. As I said to my co-ordinator, Sunday's will often be a minister's quieter day! He agreed.

So, giving I'm pretty sure I know what I'm letting myself in for (which has been backed up by my minister - she knows that I know how busy she is), I'm treating this part of the process as partly tick box, as I have to do it, and partly an opportunity to get to know the people and organisations of the church my placement is with.

I start my extended enquiry next Sunday and my co-ordinator is warning the congregation I'll be turning up today. Ill be doing the reading there. I could have done nothing, but I'd rather do something, as that gives me (and the congregation) an opening.

There's a couple of people in my church who know I am taking part in this process. As today will be the last Sunday I can go to my church for a while (as least regularly), I need to let word trickle out a bit. I am one of the young church leaders and I think the most important people I need to tell are the members of the young church. They will wonder where I am. Besides, I remember I used to hate it when I was a child and knew something important was happening, but grown-ups wouldn't tell you. Ever since then, I've always tried to answer children's questions and tell them the truth, if I can. I have to admit, telling them will probably be the hardest thing I've had to do so far, in this process.

I'm also a biker. I regularly turn up at my church either in my bike or on the back of my husband's bike. I haven't warned my co-ordinator about this, yet. I prefer to see people's reaction when they don't know me especially. I like to challenge stereotypes and get people thinking about their prejudges. Hopefully, if and when I turn up at my placement church on my motorbike, I don't get too much negativity. I will keep you posted about how it all went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!