Monday 15 September 2008

Coming out

As yesterday was the last Sunday I'd be at my home church for a few months, I knew I'd have to come out. Both my minister and husband had told me that I'd have to at least tell the other young church leaders.

I decided to go the whole hog and tell the whole of the young church (if you hadn't worked it out, I'm a young church leader at my home church). I firmly believe you tell children the truth and definitely don't BS them. I remember how much it bugged me when I was a kid. Besides, if I didn't tell them the truth, it would put those I had told in a terrible position and the children would worry I was ill (or worse).

I simply told them I wasn't going to be around very often for a while as I felt I was supposed to be a minister and would be visiting another church to see if this was right. One of the children asked if I wanted to do that. I told them that I felt it was part of God's plan for me. That was about all the children said. I was really worried about telling them, in case they either thought I was being really funny (they know my strange sense of humour), or did the children's equivalent of "WTF, you a minister, you must be joking".

I know tt's quite a big thing for them to take in. Fortunately, my husband will be around to answer some of their questions and keep them up-to-date with how I am. Also, I've assured the superintendent (chief leader) of the young church that I will research ideas for them.

I also mentioned to one other person in the church in person. She's a little older (not necessarily more mature) than the young church. She wasn't fully listening at the time (there were about 3 conversations going on at the one time). A little later on, she came to me and asked "Were you saying you were considering entering the ministry?". I told her yes and she said "That's great news". Coming from her, I don't think she knows how important that was to me.

There was one other person I wanted to tell in person, but they were either not at church or I just missed them. My husband was going to come to my placement church for moral support and to introduce himself, but I've asked him to tell this person. I didn't have to ask him twice as I know she'll be thrilled. She get excited enough when I do something really simple in church.

I think next Sunday's going to be pretty intensive for my husband, as a lot of people will be asking about this. My Mum will also be at my home church. She can't go every week as she works in an old folks home. In some respects, I think she'll need my husband next week more than I will, as she doesn't know as much as he does and will be getting bombarded with questions. I hope everyone at my home church doesn't go overboard. I hate a fuss and they should know that by now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!