Tuesday 30 April 2013

Nothing special

At each of my placements, whether during assessment or training, there have been people who have told me the congregation I will serve will be blessed (or something like that) to have me. It's a huge complement, but I wonder if they say that to everyone (maybe even thinking "thank goodness we've got rid of her"!!!). But the people who said that to me on Sunday I know wouldn't just say so for the sake of it.

From those that mattered (which isn't necessarily anyone 'important' in a congregation), there was a definite disappointment they might not see me again. (Really, I'm not that special, honestly - sorry, mustn't get big headed). I'm sure I'll bump into them in the course of things and that how I'm getting on will filter back, but I have been aware I need to not get too attached, due to the short time I've had in each placement.

Maybe I do have a particular gift for engaging with people of almost any age and background. Perhaps it comes so naturally I don't know I am doing it. But, if we as Christians, and ministers as Christian leaders, are to emulate the life of Jesus, surely that's exactly what we should be doing? He had the ability to relate to those of all ages, backgrounds and status. So, perhaps that's why I don't see it as special, as I follow the example of Jesus himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!