Monday 29 April 2013

Not a Burlesque show

Despite my initial concerns about my first sermon I had written for yesterday's service, when I went back to them both I was reasonably happy with the orginal's general content. It did get modified before printing (and as I preached), but nothing major was changed.

I have noticed, though still having a full script, I am using it less and less. I've always known what I am going to say reasonably well, so I've not read it out, but I've been aware I have looked for what the paragraph says during a brief pause. Yesterday I noticed that the script was more there as a prompt - so I knew where I was going, what I wanted to pick up on and, if my mind did go blank, I had something there to work from. I have also noticed I am much more comfortable adding appropriate content or dropping things if I notice they are not as relevant as I thought they were or I need to move on.


It was strange preaching for the last time at Caledonia Kirk, especially on my last Sunday there (better to go out with a bang than a whimper, I suppose!). I'd love to say I'll miss it, but that would be a lie. It was a very good learning experience, though. And there are many people there who I know will be interested to learn where I go and will remember me in their prayers.

Following my sermon, the worship leader (yes, that's what they call the praise band leader) told the congregation what he thought I said. I have noticed that happens most of the time and it bugs my happiness. I think it can give the impression that what they say is what the congregation should take away from the sermon. I disagree, as there are many ways the message can be taken - I know people have said they have taken one thing from a sermon and I've thought "did I say that," but I wouldn't contradict them.

After the service, there were a few good comments. Some were about being challenged or thinking in new ways. One person, coming down the stairs, said he'd had to switch his hearing aid off, but I couldn't work out if that was he didn't like it or I don't really need the mic! There were a few people who seemed to be almost waxing lyrical about it, so much so a member of the congregation who was elsewhere yesterday emailed me, saying they'd heard it was "tremendous." That was very humbling as they used to preach.

In my sermon, I talked about some of the work the congregation does. I know that doesn't often get acknowledged within the church. One member of that group said that they sometimes wonder why they bother, but I had reassured them. If it was just for them I was called to preach that message yesterday, then great. God knows they work they do and their commitment to the people they reach out to.

So, a bit of a break before I head off for my work experience at Railway Crossing linked with First Stop. I'm going to take the opportunity to chum spot on May's edition of "50 acts of worship." Be nice to worship together for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!