Thursday 11 April 2013

Back from Retreat

Did I get something out of retreat? Yes, rather a lot, thanks. Did I feel I'd had time to connect with God and ensure my spiritual life was fed? No.

When a group of people who know and wish to support each other are sent away together, but most have not seen each other since August, they want to catch up with one another. So time for 'silent reflection' becomes time for talking. Though, the leader of the 'retreat' did suggest we did things in this time we normally couldn't do, so arguably this fitted the bill.

I think the concept of retreat can be a good thing. From what I saw and talked about I think I am lucky I am comfortable just being, rather than having to always do. But I'd much rather do that on my own, in a space I am comfortable with. The 2 days away just didn't work for me, but watching a film about a group of Carthusian Monks (a silent order) was just painful. For 2 hours and 44 minutes. Time in my life I'll never get back. There was no rational given for the showing and it clearly made everyone feel uncomfortable. At one point I did up and leave, as I felt myself falling asleep and needed fresh air. I did return and wonder why I bothered, as I did drop off, only waking up with a snore! 10:15 is late for some of us, myself included. The excitement of the film didn't help!

So, I've been and ticked the box. As the these retreats are forming part of the conference cycle, all I am saying is I am glad my cycle is completed in August. Unlike some in the academic year above me, I will not be going next year, unless I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!