Tuesday 26 February 2013

Too informal for me

The longer I am at Caledonia Kirk, the more I realise how I don't like complete informality in an act of worship. It's a balance, I know, and not easy to get right. But I think a certain pattern of the ritual can help the congregation follow proceedings and, through them, get closer to God.

Often, prayers are just offered, with no beginning. I wonder if we are praying at all or it is the person leading worship offering thoughts for the congregation to go away with, until I hear the concluding 'Amen.'. If I'm confused (and I am actively looking out for these clues), I wonder if the congregation gets it?

It was communion the other Sunday and I really struggled to engage with it. The music barely stopped and the musicians didn't sit or move off the 'stage' (yes, that is what they call it. Just don't get me started on that one). People around me are talking as the elements are being passed. I know there's no reason why anyone should be quiet, but the lack of silence is certainly a barrier for me. If it is for me, I'd imagine it's a barrier for others in the congregation.

There were responses too. That's something which hasn't happened before, though they were on the order of service. For some reason, I managed to not get one, but no indication was made they would be there at the start of the communion part of the service, so few took part to begin with. I wonder why they weren't also put on the screen? At least they would have been there for those who, like me, didn't have an order of service.

On a more positive note, the children always return for communion. I know there are some who would criticise this, but I like the fact when all are welcome around the Lord's table, it's really meant. After all, if children aren't allowed to participate in communion, what does that say about the church's attitude to them as part of the body of Christ? Now, that might be a post for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!