Monday 4 February 2013

Slipping in and slipping out

I have been pondering how (and if, indeed, we should) be reaching out to those members of a congregation who only merely turn up for the service then leave. They are polite and friendly, but the fellowship does not extend beyond a few moments before the service and a passing remark as they leave.

I know of someone who is quite dismissive of people who do this and refuse (their opinion, not mine) to be involved in any fellowship. From something they told me, I can't help be think there's a bit of projection going on here, but that's another story.

I know of people where for caring (and increasingly work) commitments they can only afford the hour in church. I am all too pleased to see them - after all, they are there. With all the pressures going on in their lives it would be all to easy to stop attending church. One less thing to juggle. But their desire to worship God in fellowship is important to them and the come.

I also think the lack of understanding the person I referred to has is, in part, an unwillingness to learn the story of those who slip in and slip out. Without knowing their story, if can be all too easy to jump to conclusions and be judgemental.

In my summer placement, I did a number of pastoral visits. Some of those I visited did slip in and out of the service. Through the visits, I got to know them and understand their story. That was humbling and a privilege. I also knew how important the act of worship was in sustaining them in their lives of caring and service. I pray, wherever I minister, I will be able to continue to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!