Thursday 31 January 2013

Saying it right

One of the things the speech trainer mentioned in his report that I need to work on is pronouncing biblical names. This was not from what he'd heard, but what he'd managed to get 'negative' from the congregation at Caledonia Kirk (he even told me it was only when pressed he'd got this, so that's why he'd buried it towards the end of the report). So, I'll admit it's something I lack practise at and that I will get better with some.

So, the question is, apart from the well known names, does anyone really care? This isn't me being arrogant or unwilling to learn or rejecting I have erred, but looking at the big picture. Advise I have been given in the past has been to "say it with confidence and consistency", which is pretty much what I do. My supervisor recommended I look on youtube for pronunciation, but that wouldn't give me a chance to practise.

I know this is important to some people. I also know a congregation will get to know me and I them - we can even learn together. Which make me think of a church where I have preached a few times.

One of the best readers there is dyslexic, so she pretty much memorises the reading. I recall one Sunday them asking how someone's name was pronounced. Knowing how much effort it takes for them to do what they do (and how much they add to the worship, due to their gift of reading the bible so well) I told them to say it however they felt comfortable with and where I referred to it in the sermon, I would say it as they did. And it worked - no one noticed because we were consistent.

But I suppose I have to have something to work on. And it's not a big thing, I just hope it doesn't grow arms and legs, so I feel bothered about pronouncing names and get more and more in a fanckle about it.

2 comments:

  1. Advice I've always had, and now give to others - say it with confidence and authority.
    Given that we don't really know how many of the names would have been pronounced, you're as likely to be correct as anyone else.
    I suspect this isn't an issue of pronouncing them 'incorrectly', but differently. So, your policy of consistency would seem to be a wise course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you I'd go with what the reader says to save embarrasing them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!