Thursday 3 January 2013

Music in worship

( With thanks to Nik for the video link)

I have been brought up in a church where organ music is the norm, but where other forms of music have featured. Those are more on a special occasion basis, rather than Sunday by Sunday. I like good music well played. It doesn't really matter what instrument (or even style - except dance music, can't stand that) live music is played on, I can appreciate a skillful musician. In the right context.

But, when during an act of worship, I believe the music should help lead worship. It should not dominate, overpower or be the centre of attention. As with all aspects of worship, it should point to God, not to the musicians. I'll come back to this belief about worship in a moment.

For a long time, given my enjoyment of many types of live music, I couldn't work out why I didn't like praise bands. Given my musical taste, I should prefer guitars and drums to organs. But there was always something which just didn't quite sit right for me with many praise bands I had encountered. I think I have figured out why they grate on me.

All three of my placements have had praise bands. The way they have been used has varied. At one, they featured infrequently, played three songs back-to-back (which often bore little or no relation to the theme of the service) and they were very much 'up front'. At another, they were used for hymns where organ music wouldn't really work.with, effectively complementing worship, but not dominating it. And finally, the band is the source of the music, but they are the focus of attention to the point where (to my ears at least) they are more gigging than leading worship. Now, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy a good live gig, but there's a time and a place, worship not being it.

I also get an impression there can be a bit of egos when it comes to praise bands (yes, I am making sweeping statements, but this is based on my observations at three placements). With the bands at 2 of the 3 placements I have been at being at the front, they are the focus. If there were an organ providing the music, the organist would (usually) be out of sight. Before organs, musicians would (often) play up in the balcony. They provide the music to lead worship, but are physically out-of-sight, so they are not the focus of worship. While people do need to hear the praise bands, as they are broadcast over a PA system, why do they need to be up front at all, if not to be seen doing it? Or am I just being cynical having seen praise bands dominating worship, but not really seen where they have complemented worship?

And please, would people practise? You might be able to play well on your own, but in a group is different. I need to practise what I do to lead worship, so I believe so should those who provide the music. I know, there's the joke about negotiating with an organist, though it does strike me (and I have experienced) it being easier to negotiate with an organist than a praise band. Maybe it's one verses a few, maybe I've been lucky or maybe the organists I have experienced this with don't have an ego they need to polish by only playing things they know really well.

Quite how I'd tackle this wherever I go I don't know. I'm coming round to the idea of having a praise band. Would maybe even give me an excuse to learn to play the drums, as so many praise bands seem to lack one. But that would only work for me so long as the music, in whatever format it took, helped lead the congregation to God. If the focus is on the band, well, that's just not right IMHO.

4 comments:

  1. Might I direct your attention to this helpful praise and worship CD
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've been at my attachment!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched you tube video still laughing its so true it's worrying!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!